How to register to vote if you live overseas

Many British citizens living abroad have the right to vote at parliamentary and European Parliamentary elections held in the UK To vote from abroad, UK citizens must register as overseas electors. However, such citizens are not eligible to vote in local government elections.

You can register as an overseas elector throughout the year as the electoral register is updated every month. However, if you apply during the annual canvass of UK households from September to November, you will be added to the register from 1 December.

Your registration must be renewed every year, but can be cancelled at any time. The electoral registration office will usually send you a reminder 2 to 3 months before your registration runs out.

British citizens living overseas may register for up to 15 years after they were last registered in the UK.

Register as an overseas elector

rating button