Kings Heath Park
Kings Heath Park, Vicarage Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham, B14 7TQ
Kings Heath Park has three main entrances
- Vicarage Road (pedestrian and vehicle access)
- Corner of Avenue Road and Vicarage Road (mainly pedestrian access)
- Avenue Road (pedestrian and vehicle access).
- About the park
Kings Heath Park covers around 35 acres. It was the first urban park in Birmingham to achieve Green Flag status.
The area around the main house and conservatory features high quality seasonal bedding schemes, herbaceous borders, alpine outcrops, heather beds, trees, shrubs and a refurbished pool area.
Facilities include a tea room, bowling green, plant nursery and two playgrounds.
- Awards and status
- Green Flag Award
- Rangers Centre / Visitor Centre
The site is generally flat with a gentle slope to the north-west of the site.
There is equal access for all people and there are special facilities for people with disabilities, such as ramped entrances to the main house and nursery shop.
There is a car park opposite the house, but it is possible to park outside the house if needed.
If you'd like to park outside the house, please call 0121 444 2848 in advance.
There are two playgrounds in the park.
The playground by the Avenue Road entrance is designed for 5 to 12 year olds. It features a range of play equipment, including a slide, shelter and swings.
The playground by the Lodge at Vicarage Road is designed for 1 to 5 year olds. Equipment includes a slide, climbing frame and swing.
- Guided activities and tours
Our Rangers lead regular events and activities in parks across the city. These are a great opportunity to take an active role in caring for your local park or simply to learn more about Birmingham's wildlife and green spaces.
Our seasonal programme includes outdoor fun events for families, craft activities, guided walks, practical conservation days and training courses. We also offer guided walks and talks for local community groups.
- School and group trips
Our Ranger-led events and activities for schools help pupils gain a better understanding of wildlife and the natural environment.
You can also arrange for a Ranger to give your community group a guided walk of one of our parks, or to give a talk and presentation.
- Exercise and wellbeing
- Television Garden
The Television Garden at Kings Heath Park started in 1972 as a partnership between Birmingham City Council and television company ATV (which later became Central Television). The programme, Gardening Today, was originally devised to show viewers how to design and maintain their gardens. The first presenters were Bob Price and Cyril Fletcher. Today, this section of garden is very mature and is admired by the tens of thousands of visitors each year.
In 1989, Bob Price passed away. New presenters were brought in and the show was given a new name: Garden Time. The development of the site was rapid, with companies like Bradstone, Blooms of Bressingham and Stapley Water Gardens establishing many high profile displays.
In 1995, Central Television pulled out. Later that year the School of Horticulture established a partnership with Pershore College, a nationally recognised Horticultural College and Bournville College. Students from both colleges used the gardens as a training ground.
In 1996, Gardeners World moved to Kings Heath Park. Over the years they have developed many new gardens with top designers like John Brookes, Robin Williams, Dan Pearson and Bonita Bolitis, producing a variety of different designs.
The Television Gardens are usually open to the public twice a month between April and October. For more information please call 0121 444 2848.
The house in Kings Heath Park was built in 1832 for the newly elected left the house in 1835 and over the next few years there were a number of occupiers.
In 1880 the house was bought by John Cartland, a wealthy brass founder and ancestor of novelist Dame Barbara Cartland. John Cartland transferred the property to his four sons who let it on a 21 year lease to Fredrick Everitt, who owned Kings Heath Brewery in Grange Road.
In 1901, the lease was surrendered to the Cartlands, but in 1902 a national financial crisis had repercussions on the Cartland family. They formed the Priory Trust Co Ltd and transferred the freehold of the house and land to that trust with the possible intention of developing the area for housing. However, in 1908 the Trust sold the house and half the surrounding land to the Kings Norton and Northfield Urban District Council for ?11,000. The council responded to popular demand and opened the grounds as a public park.
In 1914 the trust sold the remaining half of the land surrounding the house to Birmingham Corporation for £5000. This area was immediately incorporated into the newly formed Kings Heath Park.
- The main toilet block is located near the bowls hut, just past the glasshouses (a short walk form the main car park).
- Plant nursery
Kings Heath Plant Nursery sells high quality seasonal bedding, shrubs, patio containers, hanging baskets and pot plants to the public.
- Rooms for hire
A meeting room which holds 30 people is available to hire at Kings Heath Park.
- Walking or jogging routes
There's a 2 kilometre walking route through the park.
Find out more about walking and jogging routes in Birmingham.
- Moseley and Kings Heath