Early history

Aston was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, when it was recorded as Estone, having a mill, a priest and therefore probably a church, woodland and ploughland.

The church of St. Peter and Paul was built in medieval times to replace an earlier church. The body of the church was rebuilt by J. A. Chatwin during the period 1879 to 1890, the fifteenth century tower and spire, which was partly rebuilt in 1776/7, being the only survivors of the medieval building.

rating button