rating button
Overview | Aston local history | Birmingham City Council

Overview

The suburb we now know as Aston was once part of a large parish in Warwickshire which stretched as far eastwards as Castle Bromwich.

The townships of Duddeston and Nechells and Deritend and Bordesley were included in the borough of Birmingham in 1838, while the area known as Aston Manor stayed outside Birmingham, along with other manors such as Erdington, Witton and Little Bromwich. From 1869, Aston Manor was governed by Aston Manor Local Board.

It became an Urban District in 1903 and was finally absorbed into Birmingham in 1911.