Garden of Remembrance
The British Legion had maintained a temporary Garden of Remembrance in Acocks Green since 1945 but in May 1964, they applied to have a permanent Garden made outside the Library.
The British Legion wrote "we desire to have some place where people of all denominations can freely place something to the memory of their lost loved ones."
It was agreed that the Memorial would be in keeping with the dignity of the public library building. Just before Christmas 1964 the idea was approved by the Council. J White and Sons, local Memorial Craftsmen based in Yardley were asked to submit a suitable design. They suggested a paved area up to the Cenotaph surrounded by lawns, with a section of the Library frontage wall coming down to give access.