rating button
Overview | Quinton local history | Birmingham City Council

Tributes paid after death of the Duke of Edinburgh

Cllr Mohammed Azim, Lord Mayor of Birmingham, has commented following the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. Full details of Birmingham's response

Overview

Quinton lies around five miles west of the city centre along the Hagley Road West. Originally it was a small village, also known as "Ridgeacre", and was home to a mixture of small farms and nail-making industries. It now stretches to the borders of Halesowen, Warley and Harborne.

In 1894 a map showed Quinton as being along High Street and Bissell Street, whilst the agricultural land around it was known as Ridgeacre. Farms included:

  • Red Hall Farm, near to where Quinton Library is now
  • Windmill Farm along Ridgeacre Lane
  • Ridgeacre Farm by the junction of Quinton Road West and Ridgeacre Lane
  • Four Dwellings Farm where Four Dwellings School is now
  • Mopbeggar Farm near to Moats Meadow