Give notice of your marriage or civil partnership

If you need to book an appointment to give notice of intention to marry or form a civil partnership, fill out our marriage or civil partnership enquiry form.

If you are deaf or hard of hearing and would like support in completing the registration, email us at and we will contact you to agree how we can support you.

We are experiencing high volumes of requests for appointments and will contact you as soon as we are able to.

We are currently only seeing customers who have an appointment booked. Do not attend without an appointment, you will not be permitted entry to the building.

Only customers (and interpreter(s) as required) are permitted to attend appointments.

Notice appointment

If you live in Birmingham, you must book an appointment (using the contact details on this page) to give notice at Birmingham Register Office.

If you do not live in Birmingham, but wish to get married or register a civil partnership in Birmingham, you must give notice to the local authority for the area you live in instead.

If your marriage or civil partnership is subject to immigration control you may need to give your notice together and one or both parties must be resident in Birmingham.

Legally you must give notice between 29 days and one year before your ceremony, unless your marriage or civil partnership is subject to immigration control, when the waiting period can be extended. The notice is usually valid for a period of 12 months. If the notice has elapsed, a fresh notice is required for which the notice fee is charged.

There is a non-refundable fee of £52 per person to book an appointment to give notice at Birmingham Register Office. This consists of a £42 notice fee and a £10 advice fee.

We will take your payment over the phone (by debit or credit card) when you book your appointment.

When you give notice you will need:

  • Proof of your name, age, address and nationality
  • An interpreter who can speak and read both English and your language fluently if either of you can’t understand of speak English (you can’t interpret for each other).
  • You will also need to state your chosen venue.

Once you have given notice, it will be displayed in the Register Office for 28 days. After this time, if there are no objections, a 'marriage schedule' will be produced.

In the event that anyone arriving to give notice of marriage or civil partnership books in more than 10 minutes late, it may not be possible for the appointment to take place and your appointment may be rearranged. The rearranged appointment may not be on the same day.

Couples planning to marry abroad should visit the "getting married abroad" pages on the government's website. This is a useful tool to help couples identify what they need to get married in each country.

Page last updated: 28 May 2024

rating button