Apply for a permanent proxy vote

You can get a permanent proxy vote if:

  • you’re registered blind or receiving a Higher Disability Living Allowance: you must state the council with which you are registered blind or declare that you receive the higher rate of allowance
  • you’re physically incapacitated: you must have your application form supported by a registered medical practitioner, registered nurse or Christian Science practitioner, provided that person is giving you treatment or care. If you are in a residential home or sheltered housing, then the head of home or warden can support your application (but not a care assistant)
  • you’re unavailable due to your employment: your employer must sign your application. If you are self-employed, indicate this on the form, if you are self-employed, then your application must be supported by someone who is 18 or over, knows your circumstances, and is not related to you.
  • you’re attending an educational course: each college/institution will have appointed an officer to support applications on these grounds. Check with your college who this person is.

You can obtain an application form by clicking the links above or by contacting the Elections Office directly. From 31 October 2023 you will also need to provide your national insurance number on the application form so that we can verify your identity. It is the Elector who is appointing the proxy who will need to complete and sign the form.

Poll cards will be sent to the appointed proxy confirming where they need to go to cast your vote in the weeks before the election.

Page last updated: 31 October 2023

rating button