Your recycling bin
About your recycling bin
The lid of your recycling bin is blue.
If your property is not suitable for wheelie bins, you will have a recycling box.
How to put your recycling bin or box out for collection
You must not store your bin on the street. It should be on your property when it is not out for collection.
Collection will take place after 5:30am. Do not put your bin out any earlier than 3:30pm the day before.
Your bin needs to be in front of your property or at your collection point if we have asked you to put your bins at a collection point.
You must return your bin to your property by midday on the day after collection. For example, if your collection day is Wednesday, you must put your bin back on your property by midday on Thursday.
What you can put in your recycling bin
In the removable plastic pod
If you have too much cardboard and paper to fit in the pod, place it in a neat pile next to your wheelie bin. You can put it in a cardboard box to keep it tidy.
Fold or break up any large boxes so that our crews can fit them in the small recycling section of their lorries.
In the main part of the bin
- Household and toiletry bottles — take the lids off and put them in separately
- Drink bottles, like milk bottles, pop bottles, and so on — take the lids off and put them in separately
- Pots, tubs and trays, including yoghurt pots and meat trays (no black trays)
- Metal lids
- Clean foil and foil trays
- Food and drink cans
- Clear and different coloured glass bottles and jars.
Make sure that you take off the lid, bottle top, or screw cap and put them in separately.
If we have given you a recycling box
You will have two boxes.
- For paper
- For plastic, metal and glass
If your home has a second recycling bin
Use your recycling bins in the same way as explained above for homes with recycling boxes.
- One bin for paper and card, and the other bin for plastic, metal and glass.
What you cannot put in your recycling bin
What you cannot put in your pod:
- milk, juice and tetra pack cartons
- padded envelopes
- soiled paper or card
- pizza boxes that have food or grease on
What you cannot put in your recycling bin:
- food waste
- paint or other non-food tins
- drinking glasses
- pyrex or ceramics
- black food trays
- carrier bags and black sacks
- hard plastics
- light bulbs and mirrors
- plastic film or wrappers
- metal, such as coat hangers
Page last updated: 19 September 2023