Scheduled maintenance

Due to scheduled maintenance some of our online and payment forms may be unavailable on Wednesday 20 November 2019, 7:00pm to 8:00pm, We apologise for any inconvenience.

Request to review your Council Tax bill

Request to review your Council Tax bill

If you think your Council Tax bill is wrong please tell us as soon as possible.

Please give details of the decisions you do not agree with. We may ask you for more information so we can review our initial decision.

Remember, you must still keep your payments up to date in the mean time.

You should ask for a review of your bill if:

  • We have sent the bill to the wrong person
  • Your home should be exempt from Council Tax
  • The amount of the bill is incorrect for example, if you think you should have a discount.

You can do this by email or by writing to the Council Tax team.

You will need to state clearly what it is you are asking us to reconsider and provide supporting evidence.

If we agree that your bill is wrong we will send you a new one. If we decide the bill is correct we will contact you giving a full explanation.

We have to make a decision within two months, although you should receive a response sooner than this. If you disagree with our decision, or we have taken longer than two months, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal. If you do this, you will need to do it within two months of our decision, or four months from when you first wrote to us if you haven’t had a response.

Appealing your Council Tax liability

You can ask us to reconsider our decision:

  • To hold you liable for Council Tax, on your own or with someone else
  • Not to award a discount or exemption
  • Not to award a disabled reduction for your property
  • To issue a completion notice for a new or altered building.

We will respond in writing after we have made a decision. We aim to do this within two months although you should receive a reply much sooner.

If we agree that your liability is incorrect we will send you a revised bill. If we decide our original decision was correct we will provide you with a written explanation. You will have the right to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within two months from the date of our response.

If you have not received a reply after two months please contact us again first to check that we received your original request.  After two months of your original request you can appeal direct to the Valuation Tribunal within a further two months.

You can appeal your Council Tax liability by email or write to the Council Tax team.

You will need to state clearly what it is you are asking us to reconsider and provide supporting evidence.

Appealing your Council Tax band

The Council does not decide which band your property is in. If you are unhappy with your banding you need to contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and ask them to review it. If you cannot reach agreement you may be able to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal against their decision.

rating button