Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Support to help you live independently

Help and advice

For general advice on services available or information on reliable contractors, specialist providers and other organisations who may be able to help, please get in touch. You can call us on 0121 303 6330.


Minor adaptations

If you require help with small adaptations such as grab rails please contact the Adults and Communities Access Service for more information and advice on 0121 303 1234.

Frequently asked questions


Wise Move

The Wise Move scheme help Birmingham council tenants who are moving from three or more bedroom homes to smaller homes.

Visit www.birmingham.gov.uk/wisemove to find out more.

Moving to a more suitable home

If you own your own home and want to move to somewhere smaller or more suitable, we may be able to help and advise on finding a new property and organising your move.

You can also apply to join the Disabled Persons Housing Register which matches adapted homes to the needs of the individual.


Disabled facilities grants

Demand for disabled facilities grants is always high, so we have to target those most in need and can only help people who meet the necessary criteria.

If you wish to be considered for a disabled facilities grant you will need an assessment by an occupational therapist from the Adults and Communities service. As part of your assessment the occupational therapist will consider a range of options to meet your needs - including rehabilitation, minor equipment and adaptations and care services. If, as a result of your assessment, the Occupational Therapist recommends our help to meet your independence needs, we will contact you to advise you of your assessed level of need and the options available to you.

To ask about an assessment, please contact the Adults and Communities Access team on 0121 303 1234.

If you qualify for a grant, we will provide a comprehensive service. This covers form filling, design and organising, supervising and arranging payment for the work using our qualified staff and reliable contractors.

If you wish to appoint your own contractor and apply directly for a disabled facilities grant, you will still need to be assessed by an occupational therapist. For an application form and further information, please contact us on 0121 303 6330.


Related links


Postal Address Independent Living Team
PO Box 16606
B2 2FD
Telephone 0121 303 6330