Support to help you live independently
There are a range of services available to you including:
- Advice and information on how you can meet your needs
- Minor adaptations to help you around the home such as grab rails, small ramps etc
- Helping you move to a smaller home, better suited to your needs
- Helping you find a home adapted to your needs - including registering on our disabled persons housing register, adapted accommodation, sheltered housing and ground floor facilities
- Contacting your landlord to see how they can help you
- Providing financial help such as Disabled Facilities Grants for larger adaptations eg stairlifts, bathing facilities and home conversions
For general advice on services available or information on reliable contractors, specialist providers and other organisations who may be able to help, please get in touch. You can call us on 0121 303 6330.
If you require help with small adaptations such as grab rails please contact the Adults and Communities Access Service for more information and advice on 0121 303 1234.
The Wise Move scheme help Birmingham council tenants who are moving from three or more bedroom homes to smaller homes.
Visit www.birmingham.gov.uk/wisemove to find out more.
If you own your own home and want to move to somewhere smaller or more suitable, we may be able to help and advise on finding a new property and organising your move.
You can also apply to join the Disabled Persons Housing Register which matches adapted homes to the needs of the individual.
Demand for disabled facilities grants is always high, so we have to target those most in need and can only help people who meet the necessary criteria.
If you wish to be considered for a disabled facilities grant you will need an assessment by an occupational therapist from the Adults and Communities service. As part of your assessment the occupational therapist will consider a range of options to meet your needs - including rehabilitation, minor equipment and adaptations and care services. If, as a result of your assessment, the Occupational Therapist recommends our help to meet your independence needs, we will contact you to advise you of your assessed level of need and the options available to you.
To ask about an assessment, please contact the Adults and Communities Access team on 0121 303 1234.
If you qualify for a grant, we will provide a comprehensive service. This covers form filling, design and organising, supervising and arranging payment for the work using our qualified staff and reliable contractors.
If you wish to appoint your own contractor and apply directly for a disabled facilities grant, you will still need to be assessed by an occupational therapist. For an application form and further information, please contact us on 0121 303 6330.
- Find out about sheltered housing
- Find out about ExtraCare housing
- Apply to transfer to a new council home
PO Box 16606
0121 303 6330