Quinton lies around five miles west of the city centre along the Hagley Road West. Originally it was a small village, also known as "Ridgeacre", and was home to a mixture of small farms and nail-making industries. It now stretches to the borders of Halesowen, Warley and Harborne.
In 1894 a map showed Quinton as being along High Street and Bissell Street, whilst the agricultural land around it was known as Ridgeacre. Farms included:
- Red Hall Farm, near to where Quinton Library is now
- Windmill Farm along Ridgeacre Lane
- Ridgeacre Farm by the junction of Quinton Road West and Ridgeacre Lane
- Four Dwellings Farm where Four Dwellings School is now
- Mopbeggar Farm near to Moats Meadow