Missed bin collections - Industrial Action

We apologise for the current disruption to collections due to industrial action by Unite the union. Find out the latest on the dispute and which areas we plan to collect bins from this week

Make a planning complaint

Planning enforcement is the process by which we investigate and resolve breaches of planning control. This includes complaints about development taking place without planning permission, or properties being used for business or other uses where permission has not been received.

Examples of some breaches of planning control are:

  • Erection(s) of new buildings and extensions to existing buildings without the necessary planning permission. 
  • Changing the use of land or buildings without the necessary planning permission. 
  • Where planning permission has been granted but the approved plans and/or the conditions attached to the approval have not been followed properly. 
  • Advertisements erected without the necessary permission. 
  • Protected trees being removed or lopped without the necessary permission. 
  • The carrying out of works to a listed building, both internal and external, without the necessary permission.

Please note we cannot investigate:

  • Boundary or ownership disputes.
  • Party Wall Act issues.
  • Covenant issues.

Please be aware that if you do not agree with the planning decision there is no third party right of appeal.

Making a complaint via the city council's "Your Views" complaint procedure will not alter the outcome of the planning decision.

The Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) may consider your complaint but this is usually after you have exhausted the city council's "Your Views" complaint procedure.

The LGO provides an independent assessment of your complaint and if fault is found the LGO will advise on a suitable remedy, but please note the remedy will not affect the planning decision.

Pease note this form can only be completed on a desktop and will not work on any tablet or mobile phone.

Make a complaint

For information about the investigation process, please see the Making a Complaint Leaflet.

For information about what happens if a complaint is made about you, please see the Why Have We Visited You Leaflet