The travelling librarian

Birmingham Library Service has supported the people of Shard End since the early days of the estate, initially by the ‘travelling librarian’ who provided door step deliveries in the 1950s and 1960s. Whilst this provision was not regarded as ideal for an expanding community, the travelling librarian did maintain regular contact whilst funding was sought for a permanent library. Such interim arrangements were endured by Shard Enders for many aspects of life, for instance many early residents faced a long walk from the original bus terminus at ‘The Raven’ pub. The number 55 was finally extended into the estate in December 1951.

Similarly for local Roman Catholics, Mass was held in venues such as a cinema and a public house until the Parish Church of The Mother of God and Guardian Angels opened in 1955 (a month before the Anglican All Saints Church was opened by the Queen).

rating button