A railway station opened in 1840, providing quicker access to Birmingham. The largest business enterprise throughout the century was the brewery, founded in 1831, but most local people worked on the farms or in small handicrafts.
After 1850, the district began to change dramatically as the population increased. New churches, chapels and schools were built. The trams arrived in 1886, increasing access to Birmingham, but work could also now be found at Stirchley and Lifford.