At the beginning of the 20th century, this was still a rural village surrounded by farmland and separated from Edgbaston and Birmingham by the Chad Valley and Metchley Park.
Land was bought to build a swimming baths at Harborne in 1911, but it was not until 1923 that the baths were opened.
By 1900 the population had grown to 10,000. Wider housing development in the area began in earnest before the Second World War and was continued after the War. However, there are still large parts of the district which remain green, notably golf courses. Harborne High Street has developed as the social and shopping focus and the district has maintained itself as one of the city's most desirable suburbs.
Harborne railway station, which opened on 10 August 1874, closed to passengers on 26 November 1934 and to freight traffic in November 1963. It is now the Harborne Walkway, a two-mile nature walk and cycling route from Harborne to Ladywood, where the canal can be followed either to Birmingham or Wolverhampton.