In 1906, wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated over £5000 towards the cost of the building, which was one of ten Carnegie-funded libraries to be built in Birmingham between 1903 and 1909.
Designed by John Osborne FRIBA and built by John Barnsley and Sons in 1906 to 1907, Erdington Library was designated a Grade II listed building in 2012.
A building of significant architectural importance, Erdington Library was built of red brick and the finest dressed ashlar in the Edwardian Baroque style. Many features of the original design remain today, including its Ionic pillars, internal doors, radiators and window surrounds. The National Heritage List for England gives detailed information on the architectural design and significance of Erdington Library, along with nearby Grade II listed Erdington Public Baths.