How we can help you
- assist you in joining the library so that you can access IT, reference, and lending resources across all of our libraries
- guide you in using our catalogues, indexes, and subject guides to further your research/enquiry
- explain and facilitate access to resources on the day in the Heritage Research Area, where appropriate, and by appointment in the Wolfson Centre for Archival Research
- take enquiries about queries which we are unable to answer straight away
Searching through our resources can be time-consuming and you may want to think about using the services of a professional researcher if you need a little extra help or if you are not able to visit us. We can provide guidance about the sources we have that may help you, but do not offer a research service.
The following websites provide listings of independent researchers who may be able to help you with your research:
- Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives
- Association of Professional Genealogists
- Register of Qualified Genealogists
Other useful websites are listed on our family history webpage.
All of the collections stored in Archives and Collections are for reference only. This also includes our printed resource collections, but having a library card will provide you with access to lending copies where available.
In some cases copies resources will be served to preserve the condition of originals. Most copies are accessible either in digital or microform format - this also includes a large percentage of our family history resources.
We also have a number of guides relating to the different resources that we hold – please ask staff for further details.