If you are concerned about a rough sleeper

If you are concerned about a rough sleeper, there is an easy way to help.

First, tell The Street Link. This will send an automated alert to our rough sleeper outreach team, who respond to all alerts.

Local organisations that can help

We work in partnership with external organisations that can help rough sleepers. If you are concerned about someone in Birmingham sleeping rough, below are some organisations that can help.

Trident Reach

Trident Reach provide accommodation throughout Birmingham and through our rough sleeper outreach team.

St Basils

St Basils provide accommodation for young people aged 16 to 25 years old. They have their own rough sleeper outreach team for young people.

Birmingham and Solihull Women's Aid

Birmingham and Solihull Women's Aid provide domestic abuse prevention services. This includes services to help women who are rough sleeping because of domestic abuse.


Cranstoun provide holistic housing support services for men and women who are rough sleeping. This includes:

  • domestic abuse support
  • harm reduction and staying safe support
  • help with budgets and debt
  • help with benefits
  • support with independent living
  • housing settlement planning

SIFA Fireside

SIFA Fireside provide holistic support services for rough sleepers. Services include practical support, such as access to:

  • breakfast
  • showers
  • laundry and emergency accommodation
  • tenancy support
  • legal advice
  • debt and welfare benefits help
  • employment support
  • referrals to specialist support agencies for those who cannot access public funds

They also have a specialist pathway for victims of modern-day slavery.

Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP)

Birmingham initiates SWEP whenever there is a severe weather warning in place. It is also started whenever temperatures have a real feel of 0°C or below. This goes beyond the Homeless Link guidance, as it uses real feel temperatures.

When SWEP is in place, there is extra capacity at our commissioned accommodation provider. This makes sure that no one has to sleep out in cold weather or extreme heat.

Access to the Severe Weather Emergency Provision (SWEP) is coordinated by Trident Reach. They deliver our commissioned outreach service.

How to access SWEP

SWEP can be accessed by visiting The Street Link. You can use Street Link to alert the team if you are concerned about someone sleeping rough.

The first time you use the Street Link website, you must create an account. This takes around 30 seconds.

If you are rough sleeping when SWEP is activated or at any other time of the year, you should either:

Once you make a self-referral, Trident Reach's rough sleeper outreach team will try to find and contact you to provide you with a bed.

Page last updated: 21 February 2024

rating button