Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Coronavirus remains a serious health risk. It’s important to stay cautious and help protect yourself and others. Please continue to follow national government advice.

Problems with a landlord

Once you have reported a problem to your landlord, if he or she does not attend to it promptly you can:

  1. Contact us and ask the council to take action.  We would then speak to or write to the landlord about the problem and wherever possible will work with the landlord to ensure any necessary remedial action is carried out within a reasonable period of time. If the landlord fails to cooperate then we may take further enforcement action. A full inspection of your home would need to be carried out first. If there is a serious and imminent risk of harm due to your housing conditions, the council has powers to take emergency action for a builder to carry out any necessary work to remove the immediate danger. In severe cases you may need to leave your property, in which case the council will provide assistance with finding suitable alternative accommodation. It is important for you to make a note of the name of the person you speak with and the time and date of the discussion when you contact the council or another agency about your accommodation.
  2. Take your landlord to court. Get legal advice before you do this.
  3. Sue your landlord for compensation if you are injured or your possessions are damaged because your landlord didn’t fix the issue. Do not stop paying rent as this could give the landlord grounds for taking court action to evict you.

Harassment or threats

You should be able to live in your home without harassment or threats. If your landlord harasses you to try to make you leave, or threatens to evict you illegally, contact us straight away. 

Landlord entering the property

Your landlord may have keys to your property but does not have the right to enter at any time. The only time your landlord has right of access is to check for any necessary repairs and to do this they need to give you at least 24 hours’ written notice. This could be less in an emergency, but your agreement must still be sought before the landlord can enter your property.

If you are worried that your landlord is entering the property while you are out it may be possible for you to change the lock, but please take our advice before doing this. 

rating button