rating button
Make a planning complaint | Planning complaints (enforcement) | Birmingham City Council

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check out the latest advice, service disruptions, information and support about Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest updates

Make a planning complaint

Planning enforcement is the process by which we investigate and resolve breaches of planning control. This includes complaints about development taking place without planning permission, or properties being used for business or other uses where permission has not been received.

Examples of some breaches of planning control are:

  • Erection(s) of new buildings and extensions to existing buildings without the necessary planning permission. 
  • Changing the use of land or buildings without the necessary planning permission. 
  • Where planning permission has been granted but the approved plans and/or the conditions attached to the approval have not been followed properly. 
  • Advertisements erected without the necessary permission. 
  • Protected trees being removed or lopped without the necessary permission. 
  • The carrying out of works to a listed building, both internal and external, without the necessary permission.

Please note we cannot investigate:

  • Boundary or ownership disputes.
  • Party Wall Act issues.
  • Covenant issues.

Please be aware that if you do not agree with the planning decision there is no third party right of appeal.

Making a complaint via the city council's "Your Views" complaint procedure will not alter the outcome of the planning decision.

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman may consider your complaint but this is usually after you have exhausted the city council's "Your Views" complaint procedure.

The LGO provides an independent assessment of your complaint and if fault is found the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman will advise on a suitable remedy, but please note the remedy will not affect the planning decision.

Please note, if your complaint involves a business operating from a residential property or other change of use, please complete the downloadable observation log for a 7 day period before submitting your complaint.

The name and address of the person making the enquiry, or any other information allowing the enquirer to be identified, will be kept confidential and not made public.

The only exception will be where we are commencing enforcement action and the enquirer has been asked to collect or provide evidence to support the Councils investigation. In these cases officers we will not disclose any information unless the enquirer has consented to give evidence at any court hearing.

Make a complaint

For information about the investigation process, please see the Making a Complaint Leaflet.

For information about what happens if a complaint is made about you, please see the Why Have We Visited You Leaflet