Before you apply: Researching primary schools
Applications for primary schools opens on 1 October 2018
Schools you can apply for
You can list up to three different primary schools as preferences in your application. This can include schools outside of Birmingham.
Birmingham City Council runs a co-ordinated admissions scheme with neighbouring local authorities.
If you're applying for schools in another local authority then we recommend that you contact them for their admissions arrangements as this will help you to decide if your application is likely to be successful.
Birmingham City Council will only deal with applications for school places if you live in Birmingham and pay council tax to the authority.
If you live in Birmingham your application must still be made to Birmingham City Council.
You must read the admission arrangements for the primary schools you’re interested in to see how likely it is that your child will be offered a place there.
- Visit the schools' own websites
- How close you live to a school is very important. Schools have cut-off distances which change each year based on demand.
Remember: To avoid disappointment, be realistic in the three primary schools you list on your online application form. Make sure you read the schools admission arrangements.
- Some schools (mainly faith schools and some academies) will ask you to send supplementary information directly to them.
- Supplementary information forms are available from the school.
- Once you have submitted your supplementary information form to the school, make sure you also submit your online application or you will not be considered for a place at that school.
Open days and evenings
- Most schools have ;open days and evenings throughout September so that you can look round. You could also contact the school to arrange a visit to hear about what they offer and how they can support your child.
If the details for school you are interested are not shown on the MyEd website please visit the school's own website for details of their open days and evenings.
What is classed as your child's home address?
A list of acceptable proofs is available in the proof of address section.
Travelling to school
Think about how your child would travel to the schools you apply for. It is your responsibility to make sure your child can get to and from school.
School performance information
Other useful information
- Free internet access is available at your local library where you could research schools and submit your application online. Find your local library
- Did you know you can translate this website. Translate now