Before you apply: Researching primary schools
Applications for primary schools open on 1 October 2021
Schools you can apply for
You can list up to three different primary schools as preferences in your application. This can include schools outside of Birmingham.
Birmingham City Council runs a co-ordinated admissions scheme with neighbouring local authorities.
If you are applying for schools in another local authority, then we recommend that you contact them for their admissions arrangements as this will help you to decide if your application is likely to be successful.
Birmingham City Council will only deal with applications for school places if you live in Birmingham and pay council tax to the authority.
If you live in Birmingham your application must still be made to Birmingham City Council.
You must read the admission arrangements for the primary schools you’re interested in to see how likely it is that your child will be offered a place there.
- Visit the schools' own websites
- How close you live to a school is very important. Schools have cut-off distances which change each year based on demand.
Remember: To avoid disappointment, be realistic in the three primary schools you list on your online application form. Make sure you read the schools admission arrangements.
- Some schools (mainly faith schools and some academies) will ask you to send supplementary information directly to them.
- Supplementary information forms are available from the school.
- Once you have submitted your supplementary information form to the school, make sure you also submit your online application or you will not be considered for a place at that school.
Virtual Open Sessions
- Most schools will have virtual open sessions between September 2021 and January 2022, please visit the school's website for further details.
What is classed as your child's home address?
A list of acceptable proofs is available in the proof of address section.
Travelling to school
Think about how your child would travel to the schools you apply for. It is your responsibility to make sure your child can get to and from school.