rating button
Apply for a premises licence or notify us of changes (Gambling Act 2005) | Birmingham City Council

Key announcements

Due to essential maintenance some of our online forms will be unavailable from 9am to 4pm on Saturday 6 March 2021. We apologise for any inconvenience. Coronavirus (COVID-19) National lockdown: Stay at Home

Apply for a premises licence or notify us of changes (Gambling Act 2005)

To apply for a Gambling Act 2005 premises licence you must already hold or have applied for a Gambling Commission operating licence for the specific type of gambling facility you want to provide (e.g. betting, bingo, casino or arcade).

How to apply

You can directly apply for a premises licence if you have the right to occupy your premises and you have a valid operating licence. You should apply for a provisional statement if your premises still needs to be built, needs major alterations, or you do not have the right to occupy it.

For boats and ships, you will need to apply for either an application for a new premises licence (for vessels) or an application for a provisional statement (for vessels).

New applications, provisional statements and variations to change the layout of existing premises must:

  • include any plans for licence change with the application
  • serve notice of their application to each responsible authority
  • publicly advertise the application by clearly displaying a public notice on the premises for 28 days (if the premises has a frontage of more than 50 metres a notice must be displayed every 50 metres around the premises)
  • include the appropriate fee

Apply by email

To apply by email, complete the downloadable application form you need with a scan of your signature and email it to licensing@birmingham.gov.uk. After we’ve received your application, a licensing officer will contact you to take a debit or credit card payment for the appropriate fee.

Applying for a provisional statement

Applying for a licence

Changing the terms or details of your licence

Transferring a licence to another person