Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check out the latest advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest information

Send us a Temporary Event Notice

If you’re organising a temporary event and want to serve or sell alcohol, provide late night refreshment, or put on regulated entertainment, you’ll need to complete a temporary event notice (TEN) no later than 10 working days before the event. Each TEN costs £21.


You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of 5 TENs per year if you’re not a personal licence holder. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

Premises are limited to a maximum total duration of the periods covered by temporary event notices of 21 days per calendar year or 15 TENs per calendar year.

Your event must involve fewer than 500 people at any one time. The maximum period for using premises for licensable activities under a TEN is 7 days (with a minimum of 24 hours between events).

Late notices

Late notices can be given no later than 5 working days but no earlier than 9 working days before the event.

If you’re a personal licence holder, you’re limited to giving a maximum of 5 late notices per year. If you’re not a personal licence holder then the limit is 2 late notices per year. These count towards the total number of TENs.

If there’s an objection from either the Police or Environmental Health, to a late TEN, the Licensing Authority must issue a Counter Notice and it would be unlawful for licensable activities to proceed.

Apply online

Submit a Temporary Event Notice

Apply in writing

To send us your notice by email, complete the downloadable application form including a scan of your signature and email it to After we’ve received your application, a licensing officer will contact you to take a debit or credit card payment for the appropriate fee.

To send us your notice by post, print the downloadable application form, complete it and return it to the address below. Please include a cheque or postal order for the appropriate fee with your postal application, made payable to 'Birmingham City Council'.

You must send a copy of the notice to the Chief Officer of the West Midlands Police Licensing Team and Environmental Health. The notice must be received by both responsible authorities no later than 10 working days before the event.

rating button