rating button
Apply for a new personal licence or notify us of changes (Licensing Act 2003) | Birmingham City Council

Apply for a new personal licence or notify us of changes (Licensing Act 2003)

You must have a personal licence to run or manage a business that sells or supplies alcohol.

A personal licences will allow you to:

  • sell alcohol on behalf of any business that has a premises licence or a club premises certificate
  • act as the designated premises supervisor for any business that sells or supplies alcohol

Premises licensed to sell alcohol must have a designated premises supervisor. The single exception is a community premises that has successfully applied to disapply the DPS requirement under section 41D of the Licensing Act 2003.

Anyone who does not hold a personal licence must be authorised to sell alcohol by a personal licence holder. There is no such requirement for the supply of alcohol in a members’ club.

Please see the fees and charges page for further details on application costs.

Apply by email

To apply by email, complete the downloadable application form with a scan of your signature and return it with a completed disclosure of convictions by email to licensing@birmingham.gov.uk. After we’ve received your application, a licensing officer will contact you to take a debit or credit card payment for the appropriate fee

Your application must be submitted with:

  • a Disclosure and Barring Service certificate (no more than 1 month old on the date we receive it);
  • two passport sized photographs, one of which is endorsed as a true likeness of you by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification (the photo must meet the same specifications as Passports, Photocard Driving Licences or Identity Cards);
  • an original copy of the licensing qualification certificate you hold (from an accredited training provider)

Notify us of a change of personal licence holder's address

Please complete the downloadable notification form and email it to licensing@birmingham.gov.uk.

Lost licence declaration

If you have lost your personal licence, please complete the downloadable declaration form and email it to: licensing@birmingham.gov.uk.