Avoid air pollution when you can
Here are five tips for how to avoid polluted air:
- Use quieter streets when you’re on a bike or on foot to lower your exposure to air pollution by 20%.
- Car drivers can be exposed to twice as much air pollution as pedestrians and nine times more than a cyclist: so avoid sitting in your car in heavy traffic where possible.
- Walk on the inside of the pavement or on the opposite side to queuing traffic to stay as far away as possible from exhaust fumes.
- There are about ten to 20 high pollution days a year when it’s better to avoid working out too hard if you have a heart or lung condition. Check day-to-day pollution levels in your area.
- Blocking out air pollution helps, so close windows during rush hour if you live or work on a busy street.