Free adult bikes
Following the success of our previous bike giveaway we are now aiming to encourage families to cycle together. From Sunday 10 September you can apply for a free adult bike. Later in the year we will be launching our first kids’ Bike Bank.
When you receive your bike, we would like you to enter into a partnership with us aiming at increasing your cycling on a regular (weekly) basis. We want you to keep in contact with the team to let us know the impact that the bike has had on you and your family such as: your physical and mental wellbeing, income saved from replacing car journeys by bike, social benefit; spending time with family and friends cycling plus any other benefits you may have discovered.
To apply for a free bike each applicant needs to have completed and met the eligibility criteria below. The bike you are applying for is a Raleigh bike. No alternative will be offered.
Priority will be given to families who plan to cycle together. We are also considering applications from those undergoing an apprenticeship and from refugees.
To be eligible for a free bike, you will need to:
- live within an eligible postcode area; we are prioritising people living in areas of Birmingham where we know income, employment and health are poorer. We may also consider your application if you don’t live in an eligible area but have a medical condition which means cycling will improve your personal health and wellbeing. You must live in Birmingham.
- be aged 16 or older (kids bikes available from Bike Banks)
- be able to cycle to Level 2 standard OR attend a Level 2 cycle training course within two months of submitting your application
- have basic bike maintenance knowledge
- hold a valid up-to-date blue Birmingham City Council Leisure Card (available from Wellbeing Centres)
- hold a Wellbeing Card (available from Wellbeing Centres) OR agree to be issued with a Wellbeing Card should your application be successful
- agree to download and use the SETA monitoring app so we can see how you are using the bike (this will be available for Apple and Android phones from November 2017)
- complete an initial survey and further follow up surveys as required
- agree to use the bike frequently (weekly) or return the bike if you don’t use it
Priority will be given to families who plan to cycle together, but we will still consider applications from other adults who meet the criteria above.
A maximum of two bikes will be given per household, including previous Big Birmingham Bikes.
We cannot guarantee that every eligible applicant will receive a free bike.
The application process will close when all the bikes have been allocated. If your application is successful you will be contacted by a member of the BBB team. Unfortunately we will be unable to contact anyone whose application is unsuccessful.
For more information or to discuss further please email us or call 0121 464 1020.