Raising Aspirations programme – RAP
The Raising Aspirations Programme aims to:
Change aspirations directly by exposing children to new opportunities such as University visits and music / YouTube experiences at Blue Whale, and raise aspirations by developing general self-esteem, motivation, or self-efficacy.
Over the last few years the Birmingham Virtual School has worked with various partner organisations to deliver an exciting range of activities and courses for our young people resulting in many of them gaining useful qualifications and experience.
What's on in 2020 to 2021
- Right Trax: Young people are taught basic servicing skills and fault finding techniques whilst engaging in motorcycle riding. Young people have the opportunity to progress through a series of modules to achieve a Level 1 Qualification in Skills for employment, Training and Personal Development (QCF)
- University outreach project with Aim Higher introduces young people who may one day aspire to go to Higher Education.
- Blue Whale courses including Music Makers and Skin Care resulting in qualifications being gained and valuable, enjoyable experiences.
- Geese Theatre - enable our young people to engage in interactive theatre performances, creative workshops, film-making projects and issue-based group work designed to engage, motivate and inspire.
- The REP: Young REP bursary - 7 to 18 years old
- The REP: Work experience - secondary school
- Music Service: 1:1 lessons in year 4 / year 5 / year 6 / year 7
- Barnardo's: Arts Award delivered in primary schools
- Arts Events with the REP
- Taster Days with Birmingham Children's Trust Birmingham Careers Service events and job fairs
- Junior Awards Scheme (JASS)
- Duke of Edinburgh with Barnardo's
- Developing Your Life, Your Turn
- Confidence in Year 6
Details of these events are circulated by the Virtual School on the ePep noticeboard, promoted in our termly newsletters, or sent directly to carers when targeting specific young people.