While the factory was being built, 16 decent sized cottages were constructed for key workers.
In 1895 more land was purchased, architect Alexander Harvey was employed and the following year construction was started. This land was called Bournville Building Estate and publicity from the time told of its virtues.
Rules were made, each house was to occupy no more than a quarter of its building plot and each garden was "not less than one-sixth of an acre" with at least six fruit trees. Cadbury hoped that workers would grow their own fruit and vegetables in these gardens.