Expansion of the area
The Bournville Village Trust came into being in December 1900 and its purpose was to oversee development of the model village for the benefit of the residents.
By 1905 315 houses were built. In 1906 a Workers' Housing Co-Operative called Bournville Tenants Limited leased building land and added another 398 houses. In 1913 a model garden suburb for white-collar workers was added. The 1920s and 1930s saw rapid expansion of the land by various co-operatives and societies and private arrangements.
In 1930 homes called "Sunshine Homes" were built. These were sited to catch the maximum amount of sunlight.
From 1950 to 1962 The Trust and the City Housing Department planned a new development with shops and churches. This became part of Shenley Fields.
By the 1960s and 1970s further development saw many special-needs schemes taking place. Houses were built specifically for the elderly and the blind.