Apply for free school travel assistance
We may be able to offer your child free school travel assistance to get to school.
To apply for free school travel assistance your child must:
- Live in Birmingham
- Be between 5 and 16 years old (unless they have learning difficulties or disabilities)
- Attend one of the following:
- State school (school maintained by the Council)
- Pupil referral unit
- Non-maintained special school
- Free school
- Have to walk further than the distance (qualifying distance) shown in the table below when considering their shortest possible walking routes
Started at the school they’re travelling to after 1 September 2013
Up to 8 years old
Over 8 years old
You won't be able to apply for free school travel assistance if:
- Your child goes to a school more than the qualifying distance from your home because that's the school you want, even though your child could have gone to a school within that distance.
- Your child is attending a denominational (faith) school, unless you’re on a low income and qualify for additional support.
- You haven’t already accepted a place at a school.
To apply for free school travel assistance, please complete our online form.
Please note that you will need to login or register for a Brum Account in order to use this form.