Free school travel passes for pupils from low income families
Children from low income families (children who are getting free school meals or whose parents are getting the maximum working tax credit) may be eligible for a free school travel assistance.
To apply for free school travel assistance pass, they will need to meet the requirements below.
Primary school children
- Aged between 8 and 11 years-old
- Attending their nearest qualifying school
- The school must be more than 2 miles from their home address
Secondary school children
- Aged between 11 and 16 years-old
- Attending one of the three nearest schools to their home address, where they live more than 2 miles but less than 6 miles from that school
- Attending the nearest school preferred by reasons of a parent’s religion or beliefs, where they live more than 2 miles but not more than 15 miles away from that school.
In each case, you will need to provide evidence by submitting your current Tax Credit Award Notice (form TC602).