What to include in your invoice
We prefer electronic invoices. This helps to support our aim to reduce costs by using less paper.
To ensure we pay you promptly please ensure your invoices include the following:
- 10 digit vendor number
- 10 digit Purchase Order (PO) number (eg 4500000000)
- Cost centre reference (eg RZZ01 Z001 A00)
The PO number and cost centre reference should have been provided to you by the officer(s) procuring your goods and services.
If you're already a Birmingham City Council supplier you'll have a unique 10 digit “vendor account” number. Quoting this isn't essential, but it does help us identify you in our financial records, which speeds up the processing of your invoices and enquiries.
In addition, you must clearly display all of the following, where applicable:
- The word ‘invoice’ on the document
- A unique identification number (invoice number)
- Your company name, address and contact information
- Your telephone number and/or email address
- The company name and address of the customer you are invoicing
- Your VAT registration number (if charging VAT)
- Your company registration number
- A clear description of what you are charging for
- The date the goods or service were provided (supply date)
- The date of the invoice
- The amount(s) being charged
- VAT amount if applicable
- The total amount owed
- Your payment details (sort code and bank account).
Our example electronic invoice shows you how an ideal invoice could look.