Annual burial statistics are available for Birmingham City Council cemeteries by calendar year from 2009 to 2021.
Please note the following which must be considered in relation to any comparison or analysis of the number of burials:
- Not all deaths that occur in Birmingham result in a funeral taking place at Birmingham City Council facilities;
- Some funerals may be for deaths that have been registered outside of Birmingham;
- There are other service providers in the city area and several cemeteries and numerous churchyards which are not owned or operated by Birmingham City Council;
- The burial statistics do not include the burial of body parts or foetal remains;
- The burial statistics include the burial or scattering of cremated remains in graves. During the Coronavirus pandemic period, services for the burial or scattering of cremated remains were suspended. This will skew the burial figures for 2020 and 2021;
- A number of cemeteries only offer burials in existing family graves and do not provide new graves.