rating button
What is the council responsible for? | Flood risk management responsibilities | Birmingham City Council

Tributes paid after death of the Duke of Edinburgh

Cllr Mohammed Azim, Lord Mayor of Birmingham, has commented following the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. Full details of Birmingham's response

What is the council responsible for?

When flooding occurs, or is threatened, people often look to the local authority to take responsibility and take steps to prevent or reduce flooding. However, local authorities don’t have a statutory duty to prevent properties from flooding.

The City Council as Lead Local Flood Authority has a duty to investigate flooding. Not all flooding will require a formal investigation and report, therefore a three stage investigation process has been developed, this is outlined in the Local Flood Risk Management Strategy.

Following the floods of June 2016 and May 2018, Birmingham City Council in partnership with the Environment Agency and Severn Trent Water, has undertaken an investigation of areas where internal property flooding was reported. This investigation is outlined in the following reports:

The responsibility for flood risk management lies with a number of organisations depending on the type of flood risk.