Enterprise zone relief
The Birmingham City Centre Enterprise Zone (EZ) covers strategic sites in the city centre which offer the potential for significant redevelopment or refurbishment to accommodate business growth.
The aim of the EZ is to encourage proactive development; unlocking key development opportunities, consolidating infrastructure, with potential to attract and create new businesses and new jobs quickly.
In order to encourage this growth, business rates relief is available to eligible sites and businesses.
Businesses may be granted a rates discount of up to 100% for a maximum of five years.
To qualify for relief, businesses must:
- be located on an eligible site.
- employ staff onsite, advertising hoardings, car parks and telecommunications installations will not qualify.
- be in operation, unoccupied buildings will not qualify.
- be otherwise eligible for State Aid support under the De Minimis regulations.
- trading before 31 March 2018
Discounts are limited by EU state aid law, up to a de minimis threshold, and the local authority is required to ensure that businesses do not receive greater levels of support.
You can download a document that display the areas that form part of the Enterprise Zones.
If you require information about the benefits of your business being located in the Birmingham City Centre Enterprise Zone, or to check whether you are eligible for business rates discount, please contact EconomyBusinessSupport@birmingham.gov.uk.