Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Coronavirus remains a serious health risk. It’s important to stay cautious and help protect yourself and others. Please continue to follow national government advice.

Small business rates relief

You can get small business rate relief if you occupy

  • one property only, with a rateable value of less than £15,000or
  • more than one property in England, where the rateable value for each of the other properties is less than £2,900 and the total rateable value, for all properties, is less than £20,000

You can only get relief

  • on one property
  • if that property is occupied and
  • if you are not entitled to mandatory rate relief

The amount awarded depends on the rateable value of the property:

  • if the rateable value is £12,000 or below, it will be 100%
  • if the rateable value is between £12,001 and £14,999 it will reduce on a sliding scale from 100% to 0%

Businesses that take on an additional property that would otherwise disqualify them from receiving relief will continue to receive their existing relief for 12 months.

If your property has a rateable value below £51,000 and is occupied but you are entitled to mandatory charitable relief, you will be charged on the standard multiplier.

Apply for a small business rates relief

Tell us about any changes

We pick up some changes affecting entitlement automatically, but you will need to

  • submit a fresh application if you take up occupation of an additional property, whether within the Birmingham City Council area or elsewhere in England
  • tell us in writing if there is an increase in the rateable value of a property you occupy outside the Birmingham City Council area

If there is still an entitlement to relief, it will normally be applied from the day we are notified of the change.

However, if we are not notified within four weeks of the change occurring, entitlement will cease with effect from the date the change happened and will only be reinstated from the date we are eventually notified.

If you have any questions regarding your entitlement to this relief, or need to tell us about any changes, please contact us.

rating button