Apply for a place at a 14 to 19 Academy
There are currently 4 academies in Birmingham that admit pupils who are 14 to 19 years old. The following 2 academies are part of the co-ordinated admissions scheme:
- Bournville College Academy: specialises in engineering and technical crafts, creative and health sciences.
- Waverley Studio College: specialises in health and social care, enterprise and crafts
If you wish to apply for a place at any of the above academies you should complete our online application form.
Birmingham City Council runs a co-ordinated admissions scheme with neighbouring local authorities.
If you are applying for 14-19 schools in another local authority then we recommend that you contact them for their admissions arrangements as this will help you to decide if your application is likely to be successful.
Submit your online application form
You will receive an email confirmation that you have submitted your application form. Please ensure to check your SPAM or Junk folder. It is important that you check your confirmation email to make sure everything is correct.
You can amend your preferences right up to 11:59pm on the closing date (31 October 2020).
IMPORTANT: if you amend your preferences, please ensure you re-submit your application form before the closing date otherwise your application will not be processed.
We will take your final submission as the application to process.
Please do not use this form if your child has an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP).
Closing date: 11:59pm 31 October 2020
It is really important that you apply on time. If you apply late you are less likely to get offered a place at any of your preferred schools. Applications received after the 31 October 2020 will be classed as late applications and will not be processed until after the offer of places on 1 March 2021.
Offer date: 1 March 2021
- If you applied online and provided an email address you will be sent an email informing you which 14-19 Academy has been offered if applicable and we will email you on 1 March 2021 to tell you which 14-19 Academy your child has been offered if applicable. We cannot guarantee the exact time you will receive your email, as this will depend on your service provider. However, we expect that you will receive your offer email by 4pm on 1 March 2021.
- We will also send you a formal offer letter that will be posted by 1st class post on 1 March 2021. Please allow at least three working days for your letter to arrive.
- The offer letter will explain how to accept or refuse the offer that has been made.
- Please do not contact Birmingham City Council before you receive the notification of your child’s school place. The School Admissions team will be unable to inform you by telephone if your child has been offered a place at a 14-19 Academy until 5 March 2021.
Accept the place offered
The formal offer letter will explain how to accept or refuse the offer that has been made:
- If your child has been offered a place at a 14-19 Academy in Birmingham, you should return the acceptance slip to the school.
- If your child has been offered a place at a 14-19 Academy outside Birmingham, you should return the acceptance slip to School Admissions.
- You must inform your child’s current school if you are accepting the place at a 14-19 Academy and your child will be starting the 14-19 Academy in September 2021.
The deadline for acceptances is 15 March 2021.
Please note: both of the following 14-19 Academies will be coordinating their own applications and offers for their September 2021 intake. Please visit their websites for further information on how and when they will make offers and when they will notify you of the outcome of your application.
- The Birmingham Ormiston Academy (BOA): specialises in creative, digital and performing arts
You will also need to complete the supplementary information form.
- The Aston University Engineering Academy (AUEA): specialises in engineering and science
Any queries relating to admissions for these two establishments should be directed to the relevant academies, their contact details will be on their websites.