Infant to junior school transfer timelines
To avoid disappointment, we can't emphasise enough how important it is to research the admissions criteria for each school you're interested in.
- Primary School admissions criteria information. Also visit the school's own websites.
- Search for schools in Birmingham
- Primary school open days
- The closing date for submitting applications is 15 January 2018.
- Offer day: We’ll email you the details of the junior school place we're offering your child on 16 April 2018.
- Let us know if you accept our offer by 4 May 2018. If you don’t reply by this date you may lose the place your child’s been offered.
If your child is not offered one of your higher preference schools, their name will automatically placed on the waiting list for those schools.
- If a place becomes available at a school because someone offered a place declines it, the place will be offered to the child highest on the waiting list.
- Being on a waiting list does not mean that a place will eventually become available.
- Waiting lists can be subject to change, this means that a child’s waiting list position can go up or down.
If your child is not offered a place at one of your preferred schools, you can appeal against this decision.
You'll need to complete an online appeal forms and submit this by 22 May 2018.
An independent appeal panel will consider all appeals and make a decision within 5 school days following your appeal being heard (this will be no later than 18 July 2018).
Junior school starts
The school year begins in September. Your child’s school will contact you before then with details and useful information.