Infant to junior school transfer timelines
To avoid disappointment, we cannot emphasise enough how important it is to research the admissions criteria for each school you are interested in.
- Read the primary school admissions arrangements, which will be available from 1 October 2023. You can also visit the school's website.
- If your child does not have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) but is receiving support at their current school for their special educational needs or a disability (SEND), consider whether your chosen schools are suitable for their specific educational needs by talking to school staff or visiting the school's website.
- Do not apply if your child has an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). You can find information for children with special educational needs.
- Applications open on 1 October 2023.
- The closing date for submitting applications is 11.59pm on 15 January 2024. Applications received after 15 January 2024 are classed as late and will be processed after 16 April 2024.
- If you applied online and provided an email address, we will email you on 16 April 2024 to tell you which school your child has been offered. We cannot guarantee the exact time you will receive your email, as this will depend on your service provider. However, we expect you to receive your offer email by 4pm on Tuesday 16 April 2024.
- Ensure you check your junk or spam folder for the email address you provided.
- We will also send you a formal offer letter that will be posted by first class post on Tuesday 16 April 2024. You must allow at least three working days for your letter to arrive.
- The offer letter will explain how to accept or refuse the offer that has been made.
- Do not contact Birmingham City Council before you receive the notification of your child's school place. The School Admissions team will be unable to inform you by telephone which school has been offered to your child until Monday 22 April 2024.
- If your child is not offered a place, you will not be offered an alternative school place. If your child is not currently in receipt of education, you will need to make an application for other schools through the normal in-year admissions process.
- Your child's name will be automatically added to the waiting list for any higher preference Birmingham schools that your child was not successful in being offered a place at.
- Information on waiting list positions will not be available until Tuesday 7 May 2024.
- From 7 May 2024, you can phone Children's Services on 0121 303 1888, who will let you know who holds the waiting list for the school you want. This will be either school admissions or the school itself.
- Waiting list advice will not be available before 7 May 2024 to allow time for offers to be accepted and refused.
- The admissions team will contact you if a school place becomes available for your child from a waiting list.
- For schools outside of Birmingham, check the relevant local authority's website for information about their waiting lists.
Page last updated: 19 September 2023