rating button
Apply for a temporary pavement licence | Pavement licences | Birmingham City Council

Key announcements

Due to essential maintenance some of our online forms will be unavailable from 4pm Thursday 25 February 2021 to 9am on Monday 1 March 2021.  ​​​​​​​We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Coronavirus (COVID-19) National lockdown: Stay at Home

Apply for a temporary pavement licence

Temporary Pavement Licences allow businesses to place removable tables and chairs on the pavement outside their premises. They are a temporary alternative to a Part VII Highways Act Pavement Café Licence, and they will usually last from the day they are granted until 30 September 2021.

  • After submitting your application, details from the form will be published on our website and the public and professional bodies (such as key council departments, Councillors and the Emergency Services) will have 7 days to make representations regarding your application.
  • After this consultation period, the council will then have a further 7 days to determine whether or not to grant the licence. If a decision is not made in time, the licence will be automatically granted subject to the standard conditions.
  • Please note that the £100 application fee is not refundable if the application is refused, or if the licence is subsequently surrendered or revoked.
  • The smoking of tobacco is not permitted anywhere in the licenced area.

Detailed information about the process including the standard conditions can be found in the policy document.

Application guidance

You will need a BRUM account to complete your application. If you don't have an account, please register.

Use the map below to start your application. The map will default to a 2 mile radius from Birmingham city centre, and you can:

  • search by entering a post code or road name in the search button (include the property number if known)
  • use the "find my location" circle underneath the zoom tabs to use your current location when making a report
  • use the "plot new enquiry" tab and zoom in to choose the location manually

When you have marked the location (in the part of the pavement you wish to licence) on the map, use the "submit new enquiry" tab to begin completing your application.

NB The map may not be displayed if you are using an older version internet browser (such as Internet Explorer 10 or earlier).