Free school meals
Please note that national guidance on free school meals has been updated as part of the government's response to Coronavirus (COVID-19).
You must be eligible to claim free school meals
To claim a free school meal you should ask your child’s school or nursery for an application form.
Return the completed form to the school/nursery, along with evidence to support your application.
Are you eligible?
You may be eligible to claim free school meals for your child, up to the age of 19 years, if you (or your child) get one of the following:
- Income support
- Income-based Jobseeker Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Universal Credit