Progression into Work - Help with getting a job

To access the full range of Job Centre support and training you will need to have a current claim to out of work benefits.

If you need help using a computer to make your claim there is support available.

Your local Job Centre can tell you who can provide this.

Find your nearest Job Centre

Before you begin

You will be asked questions, so make sure you have someone to support you if needed.


  • Go to the website
  • Select ‘Benefits’
  • Select ‘Universal Credit’
  • Select ‘Apply for Universal Credit
  • You will need to create a username and password. You must make a note of these and keep them safe
  • The system will send a verification code to your email address; when received, click on the link in the email to verify your email address
  • You will be prompted to verify your identity by clicking the ‘Verify,GOV’ button
  • From here you can follow the steps to verify your identification, or select ‘I can’t do this online’, after which you will need to select ‘Book ID interview’
  • You can book an interview where your identification will be verified
  • The final page will give you a free 0800 telephone number to call to book your first appointment

Standard identify appointment

You will need to attend an appointment at the Job Centre to have your documents checked to prove who you are.

You will be given a 16 digit Personal Security Number – keep this safe.

First commitment meeting

You will be asked a number of questions by a Work Coach about the type of things you enjoy doing or are good at – this will help them to complete the second stage of your claim and draw up a document called a “commitment”. These are steps you both agree will be useful to move you towards getting a job.

At this appointment you will be told who your Work Coach will be.

Work Coach

This is the person you will normally see each time you attend the Job Centre and who will help you look for work.

You will agree with your Work Coach how you prefer to be contacted (SMS text, telephone call or email).

You will also have an electronic journal as part of your Universal Credit account; this lets you send a message to either your work coach or the people who pay your money at any time.  Your Work Coach will talk to you about specialist organisations that can help you such as Autism West Midlands, Midland Mencap and groups that can help you if you do not have someone to support you or act on your behalf.

If you no longer wish to access education and want to get a job, see simplified Step by Step Guide, written by Department for Work and Pensions.

When you begin work your EHCP will cease but you can then get support through Access to Work.

rating button