rating button
Give notice to end your tenancy | End your council home tenancy | Birmingham City Council

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check out the latest advice, service disruptions, information and support about Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest updates

Give notice to end your tenancy

If you want to end your tenancy, you must give us at least four weeks’ notice and vacant possession. Your tenancy must end on a Sunday.

If you do not give us notice, then your rent account will continue to run and you will be liable for any rent arrears that accrue, even if you have moved to another address (including other council accommodation).

In some circumstances you can give us less notice. For example, if a tenant: 

  • has died
  • is moving into residential care
  • is transferring to another council property
  • is moving to a housing association (registered social landlord) property after nomination by the council

If you would like to request a shorter notice period for another reason, please contact us and we may be able to help.  

After you have given notice, we’ll send you a letter that will confirm your tenancy end date and any remaining rent due. You must pay your remaining rent before you leave the property. The letter may also include an appointment for a moving out visit.

Note that if you want to end a joint tenancy, this will end the whole tenancy, even if the other tenant wants to stay in the property. 

To give notice to end your tenancy please contact your local voids team today: 

Voids contact details

South District Voids Team  

North/Central West Voids Team  

East Voids Team  

Districts we serve

Edgbaston, Northfield, Selly Oak 

Erdington, Ladywood, Perry Barr, Sutton Coldfield

Hodge hill, Yardley, Hall Green

Contact number

0121 464 2447

0121 303 4770

0121 303 1834