Work to build the route began on 5 March 2018 and will last approximately 40 weeks.
The work currently involves some closures of the lanes nearest the central reservation, near the junction with Eastern Road. Towards the city centre, lane closure will not begin before 9:30am, towards Selly Oak, the lane closure will be removed before 3:30pm.
Night-time lane restrictions between 10pm and 6am continue at Belgrave junction travelling away from the city centre. Traffic will be controlled with temporary traffic signals.
Pedestrian access across the east side of Belgrave junction will be closed from Sunday 22 April 2018 and an alternative route will be provided to the west side of the junction.
Edgbaston Park Road to Pebble Mill Road (in central reservation)
In the week beginning 23 April 2018, work continue to construct the cycle path construction between Mill Pool Drive and Pebble Mill Road
- The top layer of grass and soil has been removed, a timber edging installed, and a base has been laid (membrane sheet, black plastic lattice and stone gravel).
- Work has started to add a tarmac base, in preparation for the blue tarmac surface.
- A number of trees have been removed. These will be replaced locally on a 2 for 1 basis as part of the scheme.
On 22 April, the existing traffic signals will be covered and the temporary signals switched on.
In the week beginning 23 April, ground investigation and site clearance works will continue and carriageway widening works will begin.
To minimise disruption to journeys, the cycle route works at the Belgrave junction are combined with maintenance work needed to replace the existing signals and tarmac surfacing.
- Trial holes are being drilled to identify the locations of utilities equipment (gas and water mains and electric cables).
- Some site clearance works have begun, removing equipment which will not be needed after the works.
- Temporary signals have been installed.