Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Coronavirus remains a serious health risk. It’s important to stay cautious and help protect yourself and others. Please continue to follow national government advice.

EU Settlement Scheme – EU Citizens Living In the UK

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020. The Brexit Transition Period ended on 31 December 2020. If you’re an EU*, European Economic Area (EEA)** or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. You can also apply if you’re the family member of an eligible person of Northern Ireland .

Irish citizens do not have to apply for status under the EU Settlement Scheme, but may if they wish to do so, meaning they can also use their settled or pre-settled status to prove their rights. Irish citizens can also continue to use their passport or passport card to prove their rights in the UK.

If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status . Which status you get may depend on when you apply.

The official deadline for applying to the scheme was 30 June 2021. Citizens can still apply to the scheme using the late application process and must:

  • meet one of the criteria for a later deadline to apply
  • have ‘reasonable grounds’ for not applying by 30 June 2021 (medical reasons etc)

Read further details

Settled status for EU citizens will guarantee access to:

  • The right to remain in the UK
  • Public services, such as healthcare and education
  • Public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship (which can be applied for at a later date)

EU citizens and their family members can apply for EU Settlement Scheme themselves online on the GOV.UK website .

For those in need of FREE and regulated advice and support to access the scheme, this being provided by several voluntary sector organisations, which Birmingham City Council is promoting.

You can download a list of organisations that offer application advice and support for the EU Settlement Scheme .

ID verification

The first stage of the application is proving identity. This can be done by using a valid passport, valid national identity card (for EEA** or Swiss citizens), or a biometric residence card (for non-EEA/Swiss citizens).

An applicant’s identity can be verified in several ways:

  • Using the EU Exit ID Document Check app
  • Sending their ID document by post to the Home Office
  • Visiting an ID document scanning service location.

For the “EU Exit ID Document Check app” you will need a compatible phone or tablet. If you don’t have access to a mobile device with the Near Field Communication (NFC) function, Birmingham City Council provides ID Scanning and Verification Service . It is an that the council’s Register Office provides free of charge.

If you have further queries, please email us

Book your appointment online

EU Settlement Scheme status update

This email provides essential information about your EUSS status including:

  • How to access and update your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account
  • Travelling to the UK or travelling from the UK
  • How to switch from pre-settled to settled status
  • Applying for your children
  • Family members who have not yet applied, including family members currently outside the UK
  • Late and pending applications

How to access and update your UK Visa and Immigration account

You will have created a UKVI account when you applied to the EUSS. You can view your EUSS status online, via the ‘View and Prove your immigration status’ service which you can sign into using your account credentials. This online service provides a secure record of your immigration status which is available to you at all times.

Further information about using your immigration status is available.

It’s important that you keep your personal details on your UKVI account up to date. You can update your details online at ‘update your UK Visas and Immigration account details’ or by using the ‘update details’ function in the View and Prove service. Further information and details of the support is available.

Travelling to the UK or travelling from the UK

When travelling to the UK or travelling from the UK we recommend you travel using the document you used to apply to EUSS. If you are travelling on a different document, then you should update your UKVI account to add that document. You can do this by either using the ‘Update your UK Visas and Immigration account details’ service or by signing-in and using the ‘update details’ function of the View and Prove service. For example, if you applied using your passport and you are planning to travel using your national identity card, you should ensure that both documents are registered to your UKVI account. If you have not received confirmation before you travel that details of your new document have been successfully updated, you should, where possible, also carry the document with which you applied to the EUSS, to avoid unnecessary delays at the border.

From 1 October 2021, changes to UK law following the UK’s departure from the EU will mean that most EU, EEA and Swiss citizens can only enter the UK using a valid passport. This will not apply to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens with status under the EUSS, or who otherwise have protected rights under the Citizens’ Rights Agreements. You will still be able to use a national ID card for travel until 31 December 2025 at least, but as above, we recommend you travel using the document you used to apply to the EUSS, or update your UKVI account to register additional travel documents. This will avoid unnecessary delays at the border. For more information and exceptions are available.  

You don’t need to do anything if you will be travelling to or from the UK and you have EUSS settled or pre-settled status, or have a pending application to the EUSS, as long as you intend to travel using the document you used to apply to the EUSS.

Switching from pre-settled status to settled status

If you hold pre-settled status, you can apply for settled status as soon as you are eligible. This is usually after you have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 5 years in a row (known as ‘continuous residence’).

You may not be eligible for settled status if during the 5 years you have spent more than 6 months outside the UK in a 12-month period. There are some specific exemptions to this, including absence for an important reason e.g. COVID 19. You can find further information on eligibility for settled status is available.

The 5 years are counted from the day you first arrived in the UK. You do not need to have held pre-settled status for 5 years to apply for settled status.

If you have pre-settled status you must apply to the EUSS again before your pre-settled status expires.

Applying for your children

If you have children who were resident in the UK by 31 December 2020, are not British or Irish citizens and do not have another type of UK immigration status (for example, temporary leave or indefinite leave to enter or remain) they must make an application to the EUSS.

You can apply on their behalf, and when you apply for your child you can ‘link’ their application to yours. For further information please refer to the guidance available.

If you or your partner has given birth in the UK since 31 December 2020, and neither you or the other parent had settled status, another form of indefinite leave to enter or remain, or British citizenship when the child was born, you will need to apply to the EUSS on your child’s behalf within 3 months of their date of birth.

You do not need to apply on your child’s behalf if you or your partner held settled status, another form of indefinite leave to enter or remain, or British citizenship at the date the child was born because the child will be British by birth. You can find out more about British citizenship.

Family members who have not yet applied

If you have any family members who are not British or Irish citizens, or do not hold another form of UK immigration status and were resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 and have not yet applied to the EUSS, they should do so urgently. This includes any family members who are not EU, EEA or Swiss citizens and also those who hold an EEA Biometric Residence Card (BRC), even if the BRC has an expiry date after 30 June 2021.

Joining family members

If you have family members who wish to join you in the UK on the basis of your settled or pre-settled status under EUSS then there is no deadline for them coming to join you. They can join you at any point, although they must make an EUSS application within 90 days of their arrival in the UK. You can find out further information on joining family members.

Late and pending applications

Anyone making a valid application to the EUSS from 1 July 2021 will secure their rights while their application is considered, including the right to healthcare, and the right to work or (in England) to rent property.

If you know any EU, EEA or Swiss citizen (or their family member) who was resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 and who has not made an application, they should do so as soon as possible.

Guidance on reasonable grounds for making a late application.

Useful links and resources

*EU Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden.

**The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

rating button