How is terrorism assessed?
The Government employs a five grade alert system regarding any possible terror attacks:
- Low - an attack is unlikely;
- Moderate - an attack is possible, but not likely;
- Substantial - an attack is a strong possibility;
- Severe - an attack is highly likely; and
- Critical - an attack is expected imminently
A terrorist attack could occur anywhere using a variety of means. The terrorist strategy is to generate fear and prevent or disrupt us from going about our ordinary lives and business. In reality attacks are rare, but well-reported in the media.