Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Coronavirus remains a serious health risk. It’s important to stay cautious and help protect yourself and others. Please continue to follow national government advice.

Homes adapted for a disabled person reduction

Qualifying for a reduction

If you or someone who lives with you has a disability and your home has been adapted you might be able to claim a reduction in Council Tax.

The reduction will be equivalent to re-banding the property into the band that is the one below your property is currently banded at.

Band A is the lowest, so if you’re already in this band, we will reduce your bill by the equivalent of one-ninth of Band D.

We can give you this reduction as well as other discounts you may be entitled to such as Council Tax Support, if you qualify.

We might be able to give you a reduction if you have any of the following features that are necessary to the disabled person’s wellbeing:

  • a room, other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet which is used mainly by the disabled person. Examples are an extension or a room used for storing dialysis equipment or wheelchairs, or a bedroom on the ground floor in a property with two or more floors
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen, specifically to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • adaptations to your home to allow sufficient floor space inside the property for the use of a wheelchair

Apply for council tax reduction on homes adapted for a disabled person

or download, complete and post the downloadable application form.

We will contact you when we receive your application. We may need to visit your property to decide whether you qualify for a reduction.

rating button