About the West Midlands SME Grant Programme
The West Midlands Small to Medium Enterprise (SME) Grant Programme (WMGP) has launched, and funding round 9 is now open.
To be considered for this grant, you must submit your application form before 13 December 2023.
Funding round 10 will open on 18 December 2023.
This grant is for:
- start-up SMEs based in the West Midlands Region (grants of £2,500 to £7,500 are available for Birmingham Cannock Chase and Solihull based businesses only)
- existing SMEs based in the West Midlands Region (grants of £5,000 to £100,000 are available for Birmingham, Cannock Chase, Solihull, and Shropshire based businesses)
We expect most applications to apply for an average grant of between £10,000 to £20,000, and only in exceptional circumstances will grants of up to £100,000 be awarded. This is to make sure that the limited WMGP budget is given to as many businesses as possible.
Businesses from all sectors* are eligible for consideration, except for:
- those of a political or religious persuasion
- activities involving pornography or clairvoyance
- any business activity that is illegal or deemed unsuitable for public support by Birmingham City Council
Training and skills development are also ineligible because provisions for these activities will be supported through different funding routes.
*Solihull welcomes applications from the priority sectors:
Grant awards will be on an ‘in principle’ basis for Solihull businesses whilst grant funding agreements are finalised between Birmingham City Council and Solihull MBC.
Business projects can be considered for:
- new business start-ups (for Birmingham, Cannock Chase and Solihull based businesses only)
- expanding and growing existing businesses
- inward investment
- developing new markets opportunities
- innovation, including new product development
- capital investment
- an increase in the productive capacity of new and existing premises through new property builds, refurbishment and extensions
- digital projects
- a one-off £2,000 apprenticeship grant (for Cannock Chase based businesses only)
To support your application, Birmingham and Solihull based businesses will need to complete a free business diagnostic with the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership Growth Hub (GBSLEP GH). In preparation for the diagnostic appointment, complete a GBSLEP diagnostic form. This diagnostic form provides the Growth Hub with a summary of your company and your proposed project. It is not the WMGP application form, which must be completed separately.
When we receive your application, your details will be shared with the GBSLEP GH business advisor to arrange a free business diagnostic appointment. This requirement only applies to Birmingham and Solihull based businesses.
If you are a Cannock Chase based business, you do not need to undertake a business diagnostic, but you can speak to a member of the Economic Development Team at Cannock Chase Council about your application. Email EconDev@cannockchasedc.gov.uk or telephone 01543 464267.
If you are a Shropshire based business, you do not need to undertake a business diagnostic, but you are welcome to speak to a Marches Growth Hub business advisor about your application. Telephone: 01743 250526.
All the documents needed to apply for this grant are available. We strongly recommend that you check the eligibility criteria to make sure that you qualify for consideration before approaching a business advisor and completing a grant application.
If you want to receive the WMGP application, you can email email@example.com.
The guidance provided within the downloads will help you to complete the application form. It is important that you make sure that you follow the guidance closely to prevent delays with your application.
We recognise that you may still have some questions regarding your submission, so we have prepared some frequently asked questions which you may find helpful.
If you are not eligible for this grant
We also provide the Net Zero Grant Programme (NZGP), which you might be able to access.
Who to contact
Birmingham and Solihull based businesses
Contact the GBSLEP Growth Hub. Telephone: 0800 032 3488.
Cannock based businesses
Contact Cannock Chase Council’s Economic Development Team. Telephone: 01543 464267
Shropshire based businesses
Contact the Marches Growth Hub Shropshire helpline. Telephone: 01743 250526
Page last updated: 17 November 2023