Timeline and updates
Here are of the key milestones for this exciting project
- Autumn 2019 – demolition of three of the existing stadium stands following planning permission.
- Winter 2019/2020 – planning approval for the redevelopment of the stadium and the main contractor appointed.
- Spring 2020 – Preparations for start of construction begin with the installation of hoarding and signs.
- Summer 2020 – Construction work started
- Spring/Summer 2021 – New roof and walling for stand takes shape.
- Winter 2021 – anticipated competition of stadium track and new seating
- Spring 2022 – anticipated completion date
Previous updates and associated documents can now be found in our archive.
July 2021: Temporary Closure of Stadium Way
As part of the Alexander Stadium Redevelopment, we will need to upgrade the utilities within the footpath and verge along Stadium Way.
The entirety of Stadium Way will also be resurfaced.
This work is scheduled for a period of 4 weeks, commencing on Monday 5 July 2021.
To maintain safety for users of the GMAC and HPC (and users of the East Stand who are temporarily using the HPC car park), we are providing an alternative route for vehicles in and out of the HPC car park for this 4-week period.
This route will use the road into Perry Park off Church Road, turning left along the road that leads between the Stadium and allotments.
In addition to directional signage, traffic marshals will be located at entrances, exits and junctions to ensure that private cars, deliveries, construction traffic and emergency vehicles are managed and coordinated throughout this period.
June 2021: Construction update
- North of GMAC and HP Centre: The main construction of the warm-up track and throwing field have progressed well and the grass seed is being sowed. The landscape work has commenced and tarmac surfacing to the footpaths is due to commence in July 2021. On the warm-up track, the tarmac base has been completed and laying of the synthetic running track surface is due to commence in August 2021. Installation of the foundations for the large floodlight columns is currently underway.
- New West Stand and main track: Works on the external envelope of the main stand has progressed well with the West Stand roof due to be complete in June 2021. The front and rear curtain walling (glass panels on the outside of the building) of the new West Stand has been installed and some of the stainless-steel posts have started to be fitted. On the external concourses waterproofing works are underway in preparation for the resin flooring to go down towards the end of the summer. Internally, the partition walls and the plumbing and electrical works have made good progress and the rooms are taking shape on all levels of the stand. Ground preparation, drainage and duct works for the main running track have been completed. Following this, the final stages of the track formation will begin and will be ongoing until April 2022.
- Around the existing East Stand: Large retaining walls have been constructed at the North and South ends of the main stand to carry the new access bridges into the East Stand concourse. The large stairs from the East Stand car park up to the Northern Plaza have been completed and work to reconstruct the existing car park in front of the East Stand is now underway.
- Perry Park: Construction of the southern section of the Athletes’ Route (which will pass through Perry Park) commenced on 21 June 2021 and will be completed in December 2021. Construction of the route will take place in two phases, with pedestrian access maintained throughout. The first phase will install the upper section of the route (that closest to the Alexander Stadium). Once this is complete, the second phase will commence to install the remainder of the Route. A sapling (young tree) has recently been identified along the path of the Route, and will need to be removed to enable construction to proceed. The sapling will be removed week commencing 21 June 2021, and an equivalent sapling will be planted in Perry Park after the Commonwealth Games to compensate for this loss. For further information about the Athletes’ Route construction works, please visit the Alexander Stadium section of the Perry Barr Regeneration webpage
As detailed in our April 2021 letter, an application ‘for approval of details reserved by condition’ has been submitted to Birmingham City Council to seek agreement for updated flood mitigation measures in Perry Park (a surface water attenuation bund and associated drainage channel). The proposals are also available to view in the Alexander Stadium section of the Perry Barr Regeneration webpage. If approval is granted, construction of the bund and channel will commence in July/August 2021.
During these construction works in Perry Park, it is probable that there will be a slight increase in the audible noise, and dust levels in the vicinity
June 2021: Athletes' Route - commencement of construction works, and removal and replacement of a sapling
In January 2021, we submitted a reserved matters planning application to Birmingham City Council to seek approval for the southern section of the Athletes’ Route. The proposals were approved by Birmingham City Council on 13 May 2021, and are available to view on the council’s Planning Online website.
Construction of the southern section of the Athletes’ Route will begin on Monday 21 June 2021, and will be completed in December 2021.
A sapling (young tree) has recently been identified along the path of the southern section of the Athletes’ Route. The sapling will need to be removed to enable construction of the Route to proceed, and to prevent any delays to the overall Alexander Stadium Redevelopment programme. The sapling will be removed week commencing 21st June 2021, and an equivalent sapling will be planted in Perry Park after the Commonwealth Games to compensate for this loss.
For further information about the construction works, and removal and replacement of the sapling, please refer to the downloadable slide deck.
If you would like any further details, or a copy of the available information in an alternate format (in another language, braille or larger print), please email Jade Tilley or call 0121 213 3168.
June 2021: One year in to the construction works
It has been one year since construction began on the Alexander Stadium Redevelopment. Please take a look at the videos below to see the fantastic progress made to date:
May 2021: Temporary car parking arrangements for the Back Straight Stand (East Stand)
As part of the Alexander Stadium Redevelopment, we will be remodelling the Back Straight Stand (East Stand) car park, commencing on 17 May 2021. To minimise the impact of this on those using the Back Straight Stand accommodation, we will be providing alternative, temporary parking arrangements for both tenants and visitors to the Fitness Gym.
This temporary arrangement provides a number of spaces within the existing High Performance Centre (HPC) car park which will be accessed via Stadium Way. A number of accessible spaces (blue badge holders only) will be retained adjacent to the Back Straight Stand.
The downloadable notification letter has full details of the temporary car parking arrangements and directions for both pedestrians and vehicles.
These works are scheduled to complete in September 2021, but as the new car park will still form part of the wider construction site, in the interests of safety, we may seek to defer opening until after this date, and will keep stakeholders updated on this matter.
Keeping you updated
Over the coming months and years Perry Barr is set to become a hub of activity, and with so much going on, we’re keen to keep you updated on the progress being made. Coming soon we will have a Virtual Visitors Centre where you will be able to:
- See the stadium design
- Download our FAQs
- View construction progress videos and photographs
Additionally, sign up for updates from Birmingham City Council to keep you informed on everything that is happening in Perry Barr.